Saturday 3 September 2011

A TEENY BIT OF DOMESTIC GODDESSNESS

So there are a lot of things that I would like to teach myself that I do not seem to be able to find time to; you know bake, sew, knit and the list goes on.  I do cook, but I am no chef I make home cooked food like roasts, lasagne, chilli, soup, beefburgers, blah, blah, blah.  I don't even attempt the gourmet stuff and I generally stick to the same things that I know that I am good at and will get eaten.

As I am in awe of this lovely lady who has a little one the same age as mine and a teeny tiny and still somehow manages to bake, cook, make cards, get creative with her little lady, etc, etc, etc, I was inspired to step it up a gear yesterday and cook something out of my comfort zone with A&D so that they could have some fun too.  My other reason for doing it with them was that as much as I try to give them a varied diet and succeed quite well at it I am rubbish when it comes to fish.  I really don't generally like it and, as much as I try to not to let my dislikes rub off on them, I don't cook it as much as I should and thus they don't eat it very often because I don't cook it very often and they are just not used to eating it.  I thought that if they made it themselves they may be more inclined to try it.

So we decided on Fish Triple Decker .  Admittedly this is a recipe from I Can Cook With Katie so is very very simple, but A&D like to make Katie's recipes and they are very easy to follow for them.  We did alter the recipe slightly by substituting the tomato ketchup (yuk!) for tomato puree, haddock for cod and also swapping olives and mushrooms for peppers.  Oh and I almost forgot we added a sprinkle of mild chilli powder to the cheese and breadcrumb topping.  The tiddlers thoroughly enjoyed making their own dinner and although they didn't eat the whole thing they did eat the toppings and try some of the fish which is all I ever ask of them so I was very pleased.  On top of that him in doors and I loved it (I cannot believe I just said that about fish) so definitely something we will be eating again.

I was so on the ball that I even remembered to take photos (although not very good ones) so here is the finished product. 



2 comments:

  1. Wow thanks for the kind words Rach, but i am def not a domestic goddess yet! And we have our fair share of beans on toast for tea :)
    Fab that you got into the kitchen with the kids, and it doesn't matter where the recipe comes from. All that matters is that you all had fun and it was tasty. Will check out the recipe and have a go myself, with Caoimhe of course.
    Incidently you can get a lovely recipe booklet aimed for kids from the vegetarian society. We have made a couple of things from there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you are much more of one than me! Don't knock beans on toast, you can't beat it, it is the ultimate in culinary delights especially with a bit of cheese sprinkled on the top for good measure. Thanks for the tip about the recipe book, will definitely get hold of one of those.

    ReplyDelete